Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Influence of alkaline extraction on the characteristics of humic substances in Brazilian soils
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Federal de Sergipe (UFS)
- An investigation was made of the influence of alkaline extraction on the characteristics of humic substances extracted from Brazilian soil samples. Humic substances (HS) from seven different soils samples collected in Brazil were extracted using the procedure recommended by the International Humic Substances Society (IHSS). Soils, HS and humins were characterized by thermogravimetry and differential thermal analysis. About 8 mg of each material (soil, HS and humin) were placed in a platinum crucible and heated continuously from 20 to 750 degrees C at a heating rate of 10 degrees C min(-1) in an atmosphere of synthetic air (100 ml min(-1)). A thermal analysis revealed a difference between the content and structural characteristics of organic matter present in HS and humin fractions in relation to their soils. The results indicated that alkaline extraction alters the characteristics of humic substances during the extraction process, underlining the importance of developing methodologies and analytical procedures that allow organic matter in soils to be studied without extracting it. (c) 2005 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Thermochimica Acta. Amsterdam: Elsevier B.V., v. 433, n. 1-2, p. 77-82, 2005.
- Elsevier B.V.
- humic substances
- Brazilian soils
- thermogravimetry and differential thermal analysis
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.