Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- In vitro efficacy of the essential oil of Piper cubeba L. (Piperaceae) against Schistosoma mansoni
- Faculdade Medicina Ribeiro Preto
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Faculdade Farm Ribeiro Preto
- Univ Franca
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 09/15207-4
- FAPESP: 07/54241-8
- In this paper, cercariae, schistosomula, and adult Schistosoma mansoni worms were incubated in vitro with the essential oil of Piper cubeba (PC-EO) at concentrations from 12.5 to 200 mu g/mL, and the viability was evaluated using an inverted microscopy. The effects of PC-EO at 100 and 200 mu g/mL on the stages of S. mansoni were similar to those of the positive control (PZQ at 12.5 mu g/mL), with total absence of mobility after 120 h. However, at concentrations from 12.5 to 50 mu g/mL, PC-EO caused a reduction in the viability of cercariae and schistosomula when compared with the negative control groups (RPMI 1640 or dechlorinated water) or (RPMI 1640 + 0.1% DMSO or dechlorinated water + 0.1% DMSO). on the other hand, adult S. mansoni worms remained normally active when incubated with PC-EO at concentrations of 12.5 and 25 mu g/mL, and their viabilities were similar to those of the negative control groups. In addition, at concentrations ranging from 50 to 200 mu g/mL, separation of all the coupled adult worms was observed after 24 h of incubation, which is related to the fact of the reduction in egg production at this concentration. The main chemical constituents of PC-EO were identified by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry as being sabinene (19.99%), eucalyptol (11.87%), 4-terpineol (6.36%), beta-pinene (5.81%), camphor (5.61%), and delta-3-carene (5.34%). The cytotoxicity of the PC-EO was determined, and a significant cytotoxicity was only obtained in the concentration of 200 mu g/mL after 24 h treatment. The results suggest that PC-EO possesses an effect against cercariae, schistosomula, and adult worms of the S. mansoni.
- Parasitology Research. New York: Springer, v. 110, n. 5, p. 1747-1754, 2012.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.