Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Influence of Helicobacter pylori infection on the expression of MLH1 and MGMT in patients with chronic gastritis and gastric cancer
- Univ Sao Francisco
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Lab MULTIPAT
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 05/56736-9
- The aim of the present study was to evaluate the influence of Helicobacter pylori on MLH1 and MGMT mRNA levels in patients with chronic gastritis and gastric cancer. The study included 217 patients, of which 26 were uninfected, 127 had chronic gastritis and were H. pylori-positive, and 64 had gastric cancer. Bacterial genotypes were evaluated by polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and the expression levels of MLH1 and MGMT were determined by quantitative real-time PCR and immunohistochemistry. There was an association between infection with cagA, vacA s1m1 strains and gastric cancer development. When the gastric epithelium and associated inflammation were examined for expression of MLH1 and MGMT, an overall increase in expression was observed. on the other hand, these levels decrease significantly among gastric cancer patients. The loss of MLH1 and MGMT expression in gastric cancer patients suggests that it is not an early event in H. pylori-associated gastric carcinogenesis.
- European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. New York: Springer, v. 28, n. 6, p. 591-597, 2009.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.