Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Hyaluronic Acid Behavior in the Lamina Propria of the Larynx with Advancing Age
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Sao Paulo State Technol Coll FATEC BT
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Objectives. To analyze the hyaluronic acid behavior in the lamina propria of the larynx with advancing age.Study Design. Prospective study.Setting. UNESP-Univ Estadual Paulista, Botucatu Medical School, Brazil.Subjects and Methods. Thirty vocal folds were obtained at necropsy from 10 adult males (30-50 years old) and 20 geriatric males (10: 60-75 years old; 10: over 76 years old). Midmembranous vocal fold sections were subjected to immunohistochemical reactions. Digital imaging software (ImageJ) was used to quantify the hyaluronic acid distribution over the lamina propria of vocal folds, from superficial to deep layers.Results. Hyaluronic acid distribution was homogeneous for the larynges, at both superficial and deep layers (41.6 and 38.5, respectively). For both 30- to 50-year-old men geriatric age groups, hyaluronic acid level was lower at both layers.Conclusion. Hyaluronic acid level in the lamina propria of the larynx of geriatric men decreases with advancing age at both layers of the lamina.
- Otolaryngology-head And Neck Surgery. London: Sage Publications Ltd, v. 151, n. 4, p. 652-656, 2014.
- Sage Publications Ltd
- lamina propria
- vocal folds
- hyaluronic acid
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.