Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy for prevention and treatment of dental caries: a critical review
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- New York University (NYU)
- Introduction: Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy studies regarding dental caries have been present more frequently in the literature. However, photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy depends on the adjustment of variables such as the type of light source and, photosensitisers target microorganism; this makes it difficult to draw meaningful comparisons. The purpose of this paper was to provide a critical review related to this coadjuvant approach in the prevention and treatment of dental caries. Materials and Methods: A database search was made via Medline/PubMed (keywords: photodynamic therapy and dental caries) and 33 articles were found. Results: Twelve articles were included after using the filter tool, being excluded reviews and manuscripts reporting works not related to the studied area. Conclusion: The manuscripts showed that photodynamic therapy presents optimal results against dental caries, even though better understanding of photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy and its components are necessary before the clinical application of this alternative modality in the dental practice.
- OA dentistry, v. 1, n. 1, p. 1-5, 2013.
- Photodynamic theraphy
- Dental caries
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.