Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Alveolar ridge and maxillary sinus augmentation using rhBMP-2: a systematic review
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Aarhus University
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- Georgia RegentsUniversity (GRU)
- Purpose: The aim of this systematic review was to evaluate clinical and safety data for recombinant human bone morpho-genetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) in an absorbable collagen sponge (ACS) carrier when used for alveolar ridge/maxillary sinusaugmentation in humans.Materials and Methods: Clinical studies/case ser ies published 1980 through June 2012 using rhBMP-2/ACS were searched.Studies meeting the following criteria were considered eligible for inclusion: >10 subjects at baseline and maxillary sinus oralveolar ridge augmentation not concomitant with implant placement.Results: Seven of 69 publications were eligible for review. rhBMP-2/ACS yielded clinically meaningful bone formationfor maxillary sinus augmentation that would allow placement of regular dental implants without consistent differencesbetween rhBMP-2 concentrations. Never theless, the statistical analysis showed that sinus augmentation following autog-enous bone graft was significantly greater (mean bone height: 1.6 mm, 95% CI: 0.5–2.7 mm) than for rhBMP-2/ACS(rhBMP-2 at 1.5 mg/mL). In extraction sockets, rhBMP-2/ACS maintained alveolar ridge height while enhancing alve olarridge width. Safety reports did not represent concerns for the proposed indications.Conclusions: rhBMP-2/ACS appears a promising alternative to autogenous bone grafts for alveolar ridge/maxillary sinusaugmentation; dose and carrier optimization may expand its efficacy, use, and clinical application.
- Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, v. 17, n. 1, p. e192–e201, 2013.
- Alveolar ridge augmentation
- Bone morphogenetic proteins
- Bone regeneration
- Maxillary sinusaugmentation
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.