Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Cystic spermatogenesis in three species of the prolixus complex (Hemiptera: Triatominae)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: Process 2013/19764-0
- The reproductive biology of triatomines and, more specifically, the general aspects of spermatogenesis and spermiogenesis are well known. However, reported structural analyses of the testicles are restricted to the genus Triatoma. Thus, this paper describes the spermatogenesis of three species of the genus Rhodnius (R. neglectus, R. prolixus and R. robustus), by means of structural analysis. The general analysis of semi-thin sections of testicular follicles of R. prolixus, R. robustus and R. neglectus revealed that spermatogenesis is cystic in these species. Furthermore, the structural analysis of the spermatogenesis of R. prolixus (Colombia and Costa Rica), R. robustus and R. neglectus showed stages of spermatogenesis. In this paper, the analysis of spermatogenesis of three Rhodnius species shed light on this cystic spermatogenesis phenomenon; no intraespecific differences were observed among R. prolixus from different countries. Thus, although new structural analyses in other genera of the subfamily Triatominae should be performed, this paper describes cystic spermatogenesis in three species of the genus Rhodnius. These results contribute to the knowledge of the class Insecta and allow for a more detailed study of the reproductive biology of these important vectors of Chagas disease.
- Italian Journal Of Zoology, v. 82, n. 2, p. 172-178, 2015.
- Taylor &francis Ltd
- Triatominae subfamily
- structural analyses
- Tribe Rhodniini
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.