Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Spermatozoon ultrastructure and semen parameters of Brycon vermelha (Characiformes, Characidae)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade (ICMBio)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 2010/12108-2
- CNPq: 483995/2011-8
- This study analyzed semen parameters and the ultrastructure of spermatozoa of Brycon vermelha. The semen was white and viscous, with a mean volume of 5.0 +/- 2.6 mL/kg body weight and mean spermatozoon concentration of 4.3 0.8 x 10(10) spermatozoa/mL. The estimated motility rate was 90%, with 50% of spermatozoa motile at 35.0 +/- 0.1 s and 100% immotile by 46.5 +/- 0.1 s. The spermatozoon of B. verrrzelha had a distinct head, midpiece, and flagellum. The ovoid head measured 1.9 +/- 0.2 mu m by 1.3 +/- 0.1 pm, with its volume almost completely occupied by the nucleus, and was enveloped by an irregular nuclear membrane, with no acrosome vesicle. The nuclear fossa held the centriole complex and the initial segment of flagellum. The midpiece was symmetrical and measured 1.3 +/- 0.3 mu m. Mitochondria were scarce and restricted to the anterior region, while vesicles were absent. The posterior region of the midpiece was characterized by the absence of mitochondria and the presence of the cytoplasmic sheath. The flagellum, enclosed by the flagellar membrane, measured 29.6 +/- 3.4 mu m, and possessed an axial filament containing a 9+2 microtubule pattern. The spermatozoa of B. vermelha appeared similar in structure to those of fish that breed through external fertilization, thus classifying them as uniflagellate anacrosomal aquasperm, or Type 1 aquasperm.
- Animal Reproduction Science. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Bv, v. 157, p. 17-23, 2015.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Reproductive biology
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.