Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Oogenesis in Laetacara araguaiae (Ottoni and Costa, 2009) (Labriformes: Cichlidae)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Laboratório de Ictiologia Neotropical (LINEO)
- FAPESP: 2012/13413-9
- We aimed to analyze the oogenesis of adult females of the cichlid fish Laetacara araguaiae. The specimens' gonads were removed and processed for light and transmission electron microscopy. Oogenesis in L. araguaiae showed the following characteristics: a germinal epithelium with three types of oogonia (A-undifferentiated, A-differentiated and B-oogonia), oocytes at meiotic prophase stage and ovarian follicle formation. Oocytes showing primary growth with pre-vitellogenic and cortical alveolus were observed. Similar to data for other cichlids, oocytes in secondary growth or vitellogenesis were characterized by the initial deposition of yolk microgranules. The event that characterizes the maturation stage is nucleolus migration, also called the germinal vesicle, to the oocyte periphery in the direction of the micropyle. The follicular complex undergoes several changes throughout the oocyte stages. To the best of our knowledge this study is the first to describe L. araguaiae oogenesis. Moreover, this study is the first step to better understand the reproductive biology of this species, which shows great potential for use as an ornamental fish.
- Zygote (cambridge, England), p. 1-9, 2015.
- Cambridge University Press
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.