Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Fabrication techniques for ocular prostheses: an overview
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- The goals of treatment with ocular prostheses are to restore facial aesthetics and self-esteem to anophthalmicpatients. Fabricated in acrylic resin, artificial eyes should be aesthetically pleasing, scratch-resistant, andadequately polished. Use of a prosthesis without such characteristics can lead to psychological damage, as wellas infection and inflammation due to the accumulation of microorganisms and other substances on anirregularly shaped prosthesis. The present literature review describes the different techniques for fabricatingocular prostheses. Reproduction of the iris color and color stability are important factors that promote adequateaesthetics. The fabrication of an individual ocular prosthesis in acrylic resin provides satisfactory aestheticresults because the impression process establishes the defect contour. Additionally, the iris and sclera can beindividually characterized. As the techniques, materials, and manufacturing methods for ocular prosthesescontinue to evolve, the aesthetics and functionality of prostheses will also improve.
- Orbit, v. 33, n. 3, p. 229-233, 2014.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.