Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effect of peroxide bleaching on the biaxial flexural strength and modulus of bovine dentin
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Georgia Regents University
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação Amparo à Pesquisa Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- CAPES: 3110/2010
- CNPq: 305777/2010-6
- Objective: This study evaluated the effects of carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide on the biaxial flexural strength and flexural modulus of bovine dentin. Materials and Methods: Thirty coronal dentin disks (0.5 mm thick × 6.0 mm diameter) were prepared from bovine teeth. The disks were randomly divided into three groups (n=10): A control group (unbleached), a group bleached with 10% carbamide peroxide (8 h at 37°C), and a group bleached with 38% hydrogen peroxide (three 10 min applications at 37°C). The specimens were tested in a biaxial flexural apparatus held in a universal testing machine at 1.27 mm/min until failure occurred, and the biaxial mechanical properties were calculated. For each test parameter, the data were statistically analyzed by Fisher's PLSD test (predetermined a = 0.05). Results: The group bleached with 38% hydrogen peroxide demonstrated significantly lower flexural strength than the unbleached control group. Hydrogen peroxide treatment resulted in a significantly lower flexural modulus compared with the control group and with carbamide peroxide bleaching. Conclusion: Exposure of dentin to hydrogen peroxide significantly reduced both the flexural strength and the flexural modulus compared with the no-treatment control, whereas exposure to carbamide peroxide did not significantly affect either parameter.
- European Journal of Dentistry, v. 9, n. 2, p. 246-250, 2015.
- Biaxial flexural strength
- Carbamide peroxide
- Flexural modulus
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.