Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Cr+3 distribution in Al1 and Al2 Sites of alexandrite (BeAl2O4: Cr3+) induced by annealing, investigated by optical spectroscopy
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação para o Desenvolvimento da UNESP (FUNDUNESP)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- In order to investigate optical properties of alexandrite, the present work deals with the influence of thermal annealing on optical absorption and luminescence spectra of natural samples. The exposure time to heat treatment at 1000o C is taken into account. Possible migration of Cr3+ ions from Al1 (inversion site) to Al2 (reflection site) is detected. Sample composition is obtained through Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) measurements and points to a rearrangement of Cr+3 and Fe3+ ions in the alexandrite crystalline structure, under thermal annealing influence. This feature may be used to control the optical properties of natural alexandrite, which can be associated to the observed laser emission effect.
- Energy and Power Engineering, v. 2, n. 2, p. 18-24, 2010.
- A. oxides
- D. optical properties
- D. defects
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.