Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Prevalence of inadequacy intake for older people: the use o National Cancer Institute (NCI) method
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 2008/10261-8
- CNPq: 301197/2011-3
- A purpose of dietary assessment is to evaluate the dietary intake of a group or a population. In Brazil few studies have been carried out to identify dietary intake of older people population. Then, the aim of this work is to estimate the distribution as well as estimate the prevalence of inadequacy of the usual intake in a representative sample of older population from Botucatu city, São Paulo, applying the NCI method. A sample of 365 older was used and some instruments to evaluate quality of life, activities of daily living and instrumental of daily living were applied as well as three 24-hour recalls. Data from the recalls were transformed in consumption of macro and micronutrients using NDSR software and were analyzed using NCI method in order to estimate the inadequacy prevalence. The energy and macronutrients intake of the studied population agree with their needs, however, the consumption of minerals and vitamins were below the recommendation even after including the covariates. This can reflects a monotone intake that is characteristic of this age and this inadequateness can be a serious public health problem that can carry on development of chronic diseases. Also, it is important to highlight that NCI method provides a good estimate of the usual intake.
- Food and Nutrition Sciences, v. 4, p. 25-30, 2013.
- Older people
- NCI method
- Prevalence of inadequacy
- Usual intake
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.