Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Production of alcoholic beverage from ginger: study of fermentation process and final product quality
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Introduction: In Brazil part of the production of ginger is of inadequate quality for export. The production of spirit from felt-over rhizomes is an alternative of great interest to producers of these rhizomes. Aim: Aiming to increase the value of felt-over rhizomes, this work aimed to study the use of ginger as a raw material for alcoholic beverage production. It was evaluated the effect of fermentation conditions on the components of fermented alcoholic, as well as, the quality of alcoholic distilled beverage of ginger. Methods: Dehydrated ginger passed by enzymatic hydrolysis-saccharification processes. The hydrolysate obtained was analyzed for sugar profile in HPLC. The alcoholic fermentation process followed the central composite rotational design for three factors: fermentation temperature (23 to 37ºC), time of fermentation (17 to 33 h) and concentration of inoculum (0.22 to 3.00%). The fermented alcoholic obtained was analyzed in HPLC for the contents of ethanol, methanol, glycerol and residual sugars. The distillated alcoholic beverage of ginger was analyzed for ethanol, methanol, acetaldehyde, ethyl acetate and higher alcohols in the gas chromatography (GC). In addition, copper content and acidity were analyzed Results: Sugar profile of the ginger hydrolysate revealed the presence of 77.8% of glucose. Data analysis of fermentation process showed influence of temperature on ethanol and methanol content of the fermented alcoholic of ginger. Time of fermentation had effect on glycerol content. All parameters of process had influence on residual sugars contents. The HPLC analysis has shown presence of methanol, ethyl acetate, aldehyde, acids, higher alcohols and esters in distilled alcoholic beverage of ginger. Conclusion: Fermented alcoholic of ginger with higher levels of ethanol can be obtained under the conditions of 1.5% w/w of inoculum, 30°C of temperature and 24 hours of fermentation time. In this condition of fermentation process the beverage of ginger had good quality.
- British Journal of Applied Science and Technology, v. 9, n. 4, p. 318-326, 2015.
- Zingiber officinalle Roscoe
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.