Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Comparison of techniques for tibial dyschondroplasia assessment in broiler chickens
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Faculdades Federais Integradas de Diamantina
- This study was carried out at Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, SP, Brazil, with the objective of evaluating the efficacy of four techniques in the assessment of tibial dyschondroplasia lesions in broiler chickens. Four hundred Cobb male chicks were reared from 1 to 39 days of age. At 39 days, forty birds were selected and tibial dyschondroplasia status was assessed by four different techniques: evaluation using the lixiscope, macroscopic examination, histological examination and bone mineral density assessment using optical radiographic densitometry. The efficacy of each technique to assess dyschondroplasia lesions in the tibial growth plate was determined in comparison to histology, which was considered to be 100% efficient. The correlation results between lixiscope analysis and histology were poor. Macroscopic scores and densitometry readings were highly correlated with histology scores, and it is considered that these techniques reliably reproduce the status of the growth plate.
- Revista Brasileira de Ciência Avícola. Fundação APINCO de Ciência e Tecnologia Avícolas, v. 7, n. 1, p. 27-31, 2005.
- Fundação APINCO de Ciência e Tecnologia Avícolas
- macroscopic lesions
- optical radiographic densitometry
- tibial dyschondroplasia
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.