Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Changes in the stiffness of demineralized dentin following application of tooth whitening agents
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Univ Norte Parana
- Univ Chicago
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 07/54784-1
- FAPESP: 05/60696-2
- Objective. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of the bleaching agents on the elastic modulus of bovine demineralized dentin matrix (EMDM). Materials and methods. Eighty-five slices were obtained from 17 bovine teeth. The slices were divided randomly into five experimental groups (n = 17): unbleached control group (CG), 4% hydrogen peroxide (HP4), 4% hydrogen peroxide + 0.05% Ca (HP4 + Ca), 7.5% hydrogen peroxide + ACP (HP7.5) and 10% carbamide peroxide (CP10). The HP4, HP4 + Ca and CP10 groups were treated with the bleaching agents for 8 h/day (14 days), while the samples of HP7.5 group were exposed to bleaching agent for 30 min twice a day (14 days). The CGwas kept in 100% humidity. After bleaching treatments, the enamel of the samples was removed and 85 dentin beams (0.5 x 1.7 x 7.0 mm) were prepared. Afterwards, the beams were immersed in 10% phosphoric acid solution (5 h) and rinsed with water (10 min). The beams were tested after 24 h, 7 and 14 days of storage in distilled water, using three-point bend method. Data were statistically analyzed using ANOVA and Fisher's test. Results. All bleaching treatments reduced the EMDM. After 14 days post-bleaching, the EMDM increased for HP4 and HP4+Ca groups. Conclusions. The use of bleaching agents promoted a decrease in EMDM, which indicates that the bleaching treatment interacts with the dentin organic matrix. The EMDM measurement for the specimens of the 7.5% hydrogen peroxide group that were immersed in water at 14 days post-bleaching did not recover the EMDM values when compared to the control group.
- Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. London: Informa Healthcare, v. 70, n. 1, p. 56-60, 2012.
- Informa Healthcare
- elastic modulus
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.