Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Care and Cleaning of Maxillofacial Prostheses
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Both the cleaning and care of the prosthesis are fundamental for maintaining its quality. Therefore, the aim of this study was to show the methods of cleaning and care the patient needs to take as regards the prosthesis and adjacent tissue, starting with correct instruction and training by the professional. It has been verified that among the materials for fabricating maxillofacial prostheses, silicone was considered the major retainer of microorganisms on its surface. Therefore, for cleaning prostheses, the use of water and neutral soap, as well as chlorhexidine, is recommended. As regards care of the adjacent tissues, it is recommended to remove the prosthesis before going to sleep, in addition to washing the prosthesis receptor tissues with water and neutral soap or with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. Whereas for the mucosal surfaces of the ophthalmic cavity, cleaning with filtered and boiled water or physiological solution at least 3 times a day is recommended.
- Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, v. 21, n. 4, p. 1270-1273, 2010.
- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Maxillofacial prosthesis
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.