Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Force system evaluation of symmetrical beta-titanium T-loop springs preactivated by curvature and concentrated bends
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- FAPESP: 08/07258-5
- Introduction: The objective of this research was to compare the effect of preactivation on the force system of beta-titanium T-loop springs (TLSs). Methods: Twenty TLSs with dimensions of 6 x 10 mm, of 0.017 x 0.025-in beta-titanium alloy, were randomly divided into 2 groups according to their preactivation. By using a moment transducer coupled to a digital extensometer indicator adapted to a testing machine, the amounts of horizontal force and moment produced were recorded at every 0.5 mm of deactivation from 5 mm of the initial activation in an interbracket distance of 23 mm. The moment-to-force ratio, the "neutral position" and the load-deflection ratio were also calculated. Results: TLSs preactivated by curvature delivered horizontal forces significantly lower than those preactivated by concentrated bends. No differences were found in relation to the moments produced throughout the deactivation of both groups. The moment-to-force ratios were systematically higher on the TLSs preactivated by curvature than those preactivated by concentrated bends, except on 5 mm of activation. Significant differences were found in the load-deflection rates and "neutral position." Conclusions: The TLSs preactivated by curvature delivered lower horizontal forces and higher moment-to-force and load-deflection ratios than did those preactivated by concentrated bends. (Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;140:e53-e58)
- American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. New York: Mosby-elsevier, v. 140, n. 2, p. 6, 2011.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.