Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effects of Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Irradiation on Root Surfaces for Adhesion of Blood Components and Morphology
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- Objective: This in vitro study evaluated the effects of Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation on root surfaces for adhesion of blood components and morphology. Background Data: No previous research has evaluated the biocompatibility of root surfaces irradiated by Er, Cr: YSGG laser. Materials and Methods: Fifteen teeth were studied from nonsmoking patients with severe periodontal disease. Sixty root surface specimens were obtained by selecting four from each tooth. Specimens were divided into three groups of 20 each, according to treatments. Group 1 (G1) was treated by scaling and root planing (SRP), group 2 (G2) was irradiated by Er, Cr: YSGG laser, and group 3 (G3) was treated by SRP and Er, Cr: YSGG laser irradiation. Blood was placed on each of 10 specimens from each of the three groups, to evaluate adhesion of blood components to the root surfaces. A morphological analysis was made of the root surfaces of the other 10 specimens from each group. All were photomicrographed in a scanning electron microscope (SEM) and classified according to the index of blood component adhesion and modified index for analysis of morphology. Statistical processing was done with the Kruskal-Wallis and Mann-Whitney tests (p<0.05). Results: No statistical differences for adhesion of blood components to root surfaces were found between the groups (p=0.359). However, morphological analysis disclosed that all root surfaces irradiated by Er,Cr:YSGG laser (100%) were rougher than surfaces that were not irradiated (G1-G2: p=0.0003 and G1-G3: p=0.0003). Conclusion: Er, Cr: YSGG laser irradiation produced rougher root surfaces than treatment by SRP. However, it did not interfere with the adhesion of blood components to the root surfaces.
- Photomedicine and Laser Surgery. New Rochelle: Mary Ann Liebert Inc., v. 28, n. 6, p. 751-756, 2010.
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.