Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Radiographic effect of different radiopacifiers on a potential retrograde filling material
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (UFSC)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade do Sagrado Coração (USC)
- Objective. The objective of this study was to evaluate the radiopacity of white Portland cement (PC) associated with bismuth oxide (Bi(2)O(3)), barium sulfate (BaSO(4)), iodoform (CHI(3)), and zirconium oxide (ZrO(2)). White mineral trioxide aggregate (WMTA) and PC without radiopacifier were used as positive and negative controls, respectively.Study design. Following International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 6876/2001, 5 circular specimens (10 x 1 mm) were made from each material. After the materials set, radiographs were taken using occlusal film and a graduated aluminum step-wedge varying in thickness from 2 to 16 mm. The dental X-ray unit (GE1000) was set at 50 Kvp, 10 mA, 18 pulses/s, and distance of 33.5 cm. The radiographs were digitized, and radiopacity was compared with the aluminum step-wedge, using Wixwin-2000 software (Gendex). Data (mm Al) were analyzed using analysis of variance and Tukey tests.Results. The PC + Bi(2)O(3) and WMTA samples presented greater radiopacity (5.88 and 5.72 mm Al, respectively), followed by PC + ZrO(2) (3.87 mm Al) and PC + CHI(3) (3.50 mm Al). The PC + BaSO(4) and PC samples presented the lowest radiopacity values (2.35 and 1.69 mm Al, respectively), which were below the minimum value recommended by the ISO.Conclusion. Analysis of the present results led to the conclusion that all of the materials tested presented acceptable radiopacity, except PC + BaSO(4) and pure PC. (Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009; 108: 628-632)
- Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontology. New York: Mosby-elsevier, v. 108, n. 4, p. 628-632, 2009.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.