Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Evaluation of pH and Calcium Ion Release of Root-end Filling Materials Containing Calcium Hydroxide or Mineral Trioxide Aggregate
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Introduction: To evaluate calcium ion release and pH of Sealer 26 (S26) (Dentsply, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil), white mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA), Endo CPM Sealer (CPM1) (EGEO SRL Bajo licencia MTM Argentina SA, Buenos Aires, Argentina), Endo CPM Sealer in a thicker consistency (CPM 2), and zinc oxide and eugenol cement (ZOE). Methods: Material samples (n = 10) were placed in polyethylene tubes and immersed in 10 mL of distilled water. After 3, 6,12,24, and 48 hours and 7,14, and 28 days, the water pH was determined with a pH meter, and calcium release was assessed by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. An empty tube was used as the control group. Results: The control group presented a pH value of 6.9 at all studied periods and did not show the presence of calcium ion. S26 presented greater hydroxyl ion release up to 12 hours (p < 0.05). From 24 hours until 28 days, S26, MTA, CPM1, and CPM2 had similar results. in ail periods, ZOE presented the lowest hydroxyl ion release. CPM1, followed by CPM2, released the most calcium ions until 24 hours (p < 0.05). Between 48 hours and 7 days, CPM1 and CPM2 had the highest release. A greater calcium ion release was observed for CPM2, followed by CPM1 at 14 days and for S26, CPM1, and CPM2 at 28 days. ZOE released the least calcium ions in all periods. Conclusion: Sealer 26, MTA, and Endo CPM sealer at normal or thicker consistency release hydroxyl and calcium ions. Endo CPM sealer may be an alternative as root-end filling material. (J Endod 2009;35:1418-1421)
- Journal of Endodontics. New York: Elsevier B.V., v. 35, n. 10, p. 1418-1421, 2009.
- Elsevier B.V.
- mineral trioxide aggregate
- root canal filling
- root-end filling material
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.