Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Nd:YAG Laser Irradiation of Etched/Unetched Dentin Through an Uncured Two-step Etch-and-Rinse Adhesive and its Effect on Microtensile Bond Strength
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Purpose: To evaluate whether Nd:YAG laser irradiation of etched and unetched dentin through an uncured adhesive affected the microtensile bond strength (pTBS).Materials and Methods: Flat dentin surfaces were created in 19 extracted human third molars. Adper Single Bond (SB) adhesive was applied over etched (groups 1 to 3) or unetched dentin (groups 4 to 6). The dentin was then irradiated with a Nd:YAG laser through the uncured adhesive, using 0.75 or 1 W power settings, except for the control groups (groups 1 and 4). The adhesive was light cured and composite crowns were built up. After 24 h, the teeth were sectioned into beams, with cross-sectional areas of 0.49 mm(2), and were stressed under tension. Data were statistically analyzed using two-way ANOVA and Tukey's test (alpha = 5%). Dentin surfaces of fractured specimens and the interfaces of untested beams were observed under scanning electron microscopy (SEM).Results: Acid etching, laser irradiation, and their interaction significantly affected bonding (p < 0.05). Laser irradiation did not improve bonding of etched dentin to resin (p > 0.05). However, higher pTBS means were found on unetched lased dentin (groups 5 and 6), but only in comparison to group 4, where neither lasing nor etching was performed. Groups 4 to 6 showed the lowest pTBS means among all groups tested (p < 0.05). Laser irradiation did not change the characteristics of the hybrid layers created, while solidification globules were observed on lased dentin surfaces under SEM.Conclusion: Laser irradiation of dentin through the uncured adhesive did not significantly improve the pTBS in comparison to the suggested manufacturer's technique.
- Journal of Adhesive Dentistry. Hanover Park: Quintessence Publishing Co Inc, v. 14, n. 2, p. 137-145, 2012.
- Quintessence Publishing Co Inc
- dentin adhesives
- tensile bond strength
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.