Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Ovarian structure and hormonal status of the UChA and UChB adult rats in response to ethanol
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Objectives: In females, chronic alcoholism has a current and dangerous incidence to fertility. This work had the goal of elucidating the alterations on the ovary of UChA and UChB adult rats (ethanol 10% (v/v) voluntary drinkers).Study design: After the treatment period, 42 female rats divided into three experimental groups (UChA, UChB and Wistar) suffered decapitation and their ovaries were removed and processed to further analysis on light and electron microscopy. The ovary was entirely sliced and stained by hematoxylin-eosin, toluidine blue, periodic acid Schiff (PAS) and Masson's tricromic. Thereby, the enzymatic reaction to acid and alkaline phosphatase, estral cyclicity, reproductive hormonal status and frequency in oestrous-related ovarian structures were assigned.Results: The UChB rats showed an increase in body mass gain index and the ovaries relative weight was significantly lower comparing to the other groups. UCh rats presented the longest estral cycle durations and also persistent oestrous phasis, with uninterrupted cycles. Advanced follicular atresia was common in UCh animals, and degenerating intracellular fragments could be observed through acid phosphatase and electron microscopy techniques.Conclusions: There were some estral cyclicity irregularities caused by chronic ethanol intake in the UCh groups which were consequently reflected as morphologic injury in the ovary structure. (c) 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Maturitas. Clare: Elsevier B.V., v. 62, n. 1, p. 21-29, 2009.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Estral cycle
- UCh rat
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.