Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Antioxidative action of methanolic extract and buthanolic fraction of Vochysia tucanorum Mart. in the gastroprotection
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 02/105503-6
- CNPq: ARMS13
- Aim of the study: Vochysia tucanorum is an important medicinal plant used in the Cerrado of Brazil against gastric disorders and this study reveals the pharmacological action of this traditional medicine use.Materials and methods: The methanolic extract (E-MeOH) and buthanolic fraction (Fr-Bu) obtained from V. tucanorum were challenged by different necrotizing agents in rodents. NO-synthase inhibitor (L-NAME) and SH blocker (NEM) were used to evaluate the participation of cytoprotective factors in E-MeOH and Fr-Bu gastroprotection. Antiulcerogenic action of V. tucanorum was evaluated in rats and mice at doses 250, 500 or 1000 mg/kg (E-MeOH) and 37.5, 75 or 150 mg/kg (Fr-Bu).Results: Both E-MeOH and Fr-Bu present elevated gastroprotective action in all in vivo experimental models, without signs of acute toxicity. The mechanisms involved in the gastroprotective action of E-MeOH and Fr-Bu are related to the antioxidant activity and protection to gastric mucosa NO levels. Phytochemical investigations of Fr-Bu identified different pentacyclic triterpenoids such as betulinic acid, erythrodiol, epi-betulinic acid and mixtures of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid derivatives as the major constituents. The presence of such triterpenoids in Fr-Bu is probably related to the potent gastro protective action of this medicinal plant species.Conclusion: Effectiveness in gastro protection and the absence of acute toxicity indicate this species as a promising herbal drug that is in accordance with ethnopharmacological use against gastric disorders. Published by Elsevier B.V.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Clare: Elsevier B.V., v. 121, n. 3, p. 466-471, 2009.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Vochysia tucanorum
- Gastric ulcer
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.