Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Ultrasonographic and echobiometric findings in the eyes of Saanen goats of different ages
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 05/59086-5
- FAPESP: 07/06519-7
- ObjectiveTo determine ultrasonographic and echobiometric findings in the eyes of goats of different ages. B and A mode ultrasonography was performed in 55 healthy Saanen goats (110 eyes) of ages 45 (n = 15), 180 (n = 20), and 549 days (n = 20).ProceduresTranscorneal ultrasonography was performed after instillation of a topical anesthetic and application of acoustic transmission gel on the 20-MHz linear transducer tip. The transducer was placed in a longitudinal position until optimal B scan images, according to echoes of A mode images, were obtained. Statistical analysis was carried out to compare the echobiometric readings among subjects (P < 0.05).ResultsThe aqueous and vitreous humors of the goats, as well as the lens cortices and nuclei, appeared anechoic. The cornea, anterior and posterior lens capsule, sclera, and iris appeared hyperechoic and generated peaks on the A mode. Ocular measurements between the right and left eyes, as well as between male and female goats were not significantly different among subjects of the same age (P = 1.00). All dimensions evaluated increased significantly with age (P < 0.01).ConclusionsThe ultrasonographic appearances of goat eyes were very similar to those of other animal species. The cornea, anterior chamber, lens, vitreous chamber, and axial globe length increased with age in the Saanen breed of goats. Knowledge of the normal appearance and ocular dimensions of goat eyes facilitates the use of ultrasonography in the evaluation of ocular disease in Saanen goats.
- Veterinary Ophthalmology. Malden: Wiley-blackwell Publishing, Inc, v. 12, n. 5, p. 313-317, 2009.
- Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.