Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Mouriri elliptica: Validation of gastroprotective, healing and anti-Helicobacter pylori effects
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Ethnopharmacological relevance: Mouriri elliptica Martius (Melastomataceae) is species reputed in folk medicine to heal gastric ulcer and gastritis.Aim of the study: Methanolic extract (ME) and ethyl acetate fraction (EAF) from leaves of Mouriri elliptica were evaluated for their gastroprotective, healing, immunological, toxicological and anti-Helicobacter pylori activities.Material and methods: The gastroprotective action of ME and EAF was evaluated in rodent experimental models and to elucidate mechanisms of action, the antisecretory action, involvements of NO, SH, PGE(2), anti-Helicobacter pylori action of ME was evaluated. We also used immunohistochemical (PCNA and COX-2) and immunomodulatory (murine peritoneal macrophages) assays to evaluate Mouriri elliptica effects.Results: ME present gastroprotective action without antisecretory effect. Otherwise, ME showed anti-Helicobacter pylori action (MIC = 0.025 mu g/mL) and was able to inhibit NO production by macrophages. This species also accelerate the healing of ulcerated gastric mucosa by stimulating proliferation factors (PCNA), COX-2 and maintained basal PGE(2) level independent action of NSAID in gastric mucosa. The phytochemical investigation showed that this species possesses phenolic acid derivatives, acylglycoflavonoids and condensed tannins which probably influenced their pharmacological action.Conclusion: All these results suggest the efficacy and safety of Mouriri elliptica in combating and healing gastric ulcer. (C) 2009 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Clare: Elsevier B.V., v. 123, n. 3, p. 359-368, 2009.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Mouriri elliptica
- Prostaglandin E(2)
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.