Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Hancornia speciosa: Indications of gastroprotective, healing and anti-Helicobacter pylori actions
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 00/102772-0
- Ethnophamacological relevance: Mangaba(Hancornia speciosa Gomez) is a medicinal plant frequently cited in ethnopharmacological inventories of the central region of Brazil against gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhoea, ulcer, gastritis and stomachache.Aim of the study: The hydroalcoholic extract (HE) and infusion (BI) of Hancornia speciosa bark were investigated for their ability to prevent and heal rodent gastric Ulcer.Materials and methods: The preventive and healing action of both preparations of Hancornia speciosa were evaluated in experimental models in rodents that simulated this disease in human gastric mucosa.Results: BI did not exert gastroprotective effect, in contrast to FIE (500 mg/kg, p.o.) that decreased (p < 0.05) the severity of gastric damage induced by HCl/ethanol (52%), indomethacin/bethanechol (51%), stress (52%) or pylorus ligature experiments (54%). HE increased (p<0.05) the pH and decreased acid output of gastric juice. This extract promoted increase of mucus amount (3.62 mg/wt. tissue vs. 5.81 mg/wt. tissue), healing action (67%) and displayed anti-Helicobacter pylori effect.Conclusions: The antiulcer action of Hancornia speciosa resulted in increase of gastric mucus formation and antioxidant properties of polymeric proanthocyanidins present in the bark composition of this medicinal plant. Published by Elsevier B.V.
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Clare: Elsevier B.V., v. 120, n. 2, p. 161-168, 2008.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Hancornia speciosa Gomez
- Antiulcer action
- Healing effect
- Anti-Helicobacter pylori
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.