Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Phylogenetic analysis of PRP8 intein in Paracoccidioides brasiliensis species
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 06/03597-4
- FAPESP: 07/01306-5
- A recent species status investigation of the pathogenic fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensis suggested the existence of three cryptic species. In the present study the sequences of the PRP8 intein from A brasiliensis isolates belonging to the three described genetic groups and two unidentified isolates were determined and analyzed in order to check their functionality and usefulness for species identification. All the isolates presented a full-length intein, although the Endonuclease domain seems to be inactive due to substitutions in the second essential aspartic acid residue. Phylogenetic analysis by Maximum-Parsimony, Maximum Likelihood, and Bayesian Analysis clearly separated the isolates from the three species and revealed a significant difference between the Pb01 isolate and the remaining ones. The Pb01 isolate does not belong to any of the groups previously described since it presented a high divergence level compared to the three different genetic groups, corroborating some previous studies that suggested this isolate represents a new species of Paracoccidioides. (C) 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Fungal Genetics and Biology. San Diego: Academic Press Inc. Elsevier B.V., v. 45, n. 9, p. 1284-1291, 2008.
- Academic Press Inc. Elsevier B.V.
- P. brasiliensis
- cryptic species
- DNA sequencing
- Pb01 isolate
- PRP8 intein
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.