Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Molecular phylogeny of the armored catfish family Callichthyidae (Ostariophysi, Siluriformes)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Pontificia Univ Catolica Rio Grande Sul
- The family Callichthyidae comprises eight genera of fishes widely distributed across the Neotropical region. In the present study, sequences of the mitochondrial genes 12S rRNA, 16S rRNA, ND4, tRNA(His), and tRNA(Scr) were obtained from 28 callichthyid specimens. The sample included 12 species of Corydoras, three species of Aspidoras, two species of Brochis, Dianema, Lepthoplosternum, and Megalechis, and two local populations of Callichthys and Hoplosternum. Sequences of Nematogenys inermis (Nematogenyidae), Trichomycterus areolatus, and Henonemus punctatus (Trichomycteridae), Astroblepus sp. (Astroblepidae), and Neopleeostomus paranensis, Delturus parahybae, and Hemipsilichthys nimius (Loricariidae) were included as the outgroup. Phylogenetic analyses were performed by using the methods of maximum parsimony and maximum likelihood. The results of almost all analyses were very similar. The family Callichthyidae is monophyletic and comprises two natural groups: the subfamilies Corydoradinae (Aspidoras, Brochis, and Corydoras) and Callichthyinae (Callichthys, Dianema, Hoplosternum, Lepthoplosternum, and Megalechis), as previously demonstrated by morphological studies. The relationships observed within these subfamilies are in several ways different from those previously proposed on the basis of morphological data. Molecular results were compared with the morphologic and cytogenetic data available on the family. (C) 2003 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. San Diego: Academic Press Inc. Elsevier B.V., v. 32, n. 1, p. 152-163, 2004.
- Elsevier B.V.
- molecular phylogeny
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.