Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effectiveness of estradiol valerate on sex reversion in Astyanax altiparanae (Characiformes, Characidae)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade Centro Nacional de Pesquisa e Conservação de Peixes Continentais
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- Fundação para o Desenvolvimento da UNESP (FUNDUNESP)
- The objective of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of estradiol valerate in an attempt to feminize the male Astyanax altiparanae. One thousand newly-hatched larvae were randomly distributed in four incubators. During a period of 30 days, estradiol valerate was administered in different dosages (20, 40, and 80 mg/kg of diet); the control group did not receive hormone in the diet. After 161 days of hatching, biometry was performed on 50 fishes per treatment group, and the gonads were analyzed. The hormone treatments were effective in feminizing A. altiparanae, achieving 70-76% of the desired sex, while the control treatment had 44% females. The hormone did not affect the growth of fish.
- Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology. Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, v. 55, n. 2, p. 283-290, 2012.
- Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology
- Astyanax altiparanae
- Sex Reversion
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.