Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Negative Effects of Alcohol Intake and Estrogen Deficiency Combination on Osseointegration in a Rat Model
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Univ Taubate
- Univ Vale Paraiba
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES)
- Titanium Fix (Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil)
- Arkema Quimica Ltda (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Alcohol intake and estrogen deficiency can both affect bone physiology and have shown to have an adverse effect on dental implant therapy. However, the combination of both factors on osseointegration is unknown. The aim of this study was to evaluate osseointegration in rats fed with alcohol and presenting induced estrogen deficiency. Ninety-six female rats were divided according to diet and hormonal condition into 6 groups as follows: group Sh-W: sham (simulated ovariectomy) control, food and water ad libitum; group Sh-Et: sham, food and 20% ethanol solution ad libitum; group Sh-Su: sham, food and sucrose solution controlled to ensure an isocaloric diet in relation to Sh-Et; group Ov-W: ovariectomy, food and water ad libitum; group Ov-Et: ovariectomy, food and 20% ethanol solution ad libitum; and group Ov-Su: ovariectomy, food and sucrose solution controlled to ensure an isocaloric diet as Ov-Et. The groups were subdivided according to time of euthanasia: 30 and 45 days after placement of implants. Implant surgery was performed 1 month after ovariectomy or sham. After euthanasia, the femurs were removed and evaluated by histomorphometry. Groups Ov-Et and Ov-Su showed the lowest percentage of bone-to-implant contact. The combination of alcohol intake and estrogen deficiency, and the combination of estrogen deficiency and reduced ingestion of food can negatively affect osseointegration in rats.
- Journal of Oral Implantology. Lawrence: Allen Press Inc, v. 37, n. 6, p. 633-639, 2011.
- Allen Press Inc
- dental implants
- estrogen deficiency
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.