Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Renormalized coordinate approach to the thermalization process
- Univ Fed Itajuba
- Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas Físicas (CBPF)
- Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBA)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Univ Brasilia
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ)
- We consider a particle in the harmonic approximation coupled linearly to an environment modeled by an infinite set of harmonic oscillators. The system (particle environment) is considered in a cavity at thermal equilibrium. We employ the recently introduced notion of renormalized coordinates to investigate the time evolution of the particle occupation number. For comparison, we first present this study in bare coordinates. For a long elapsed time, in both approaches, the occupation number of the particle becomes independent of its initial value. The value of the occupation number of the particle is the physically expected one at the given temperature. So we have a Markovian process, describing the particle thermalization with the environment. With renormalized coordinates, no renormalization procedure is required, leading directly to a finite result.
- Physical Review A. College Pk: Amer Physical Soc, v. 79, n. 3, p. 11, 2009.
- Amer Physical Soc
- harmonic oscillators
- Markov processes
- quantum theory
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.