Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Oxidative dissolution of bornite by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Ohio State Univ
- Tampere Univ Technol
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation
- Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation: 402/06
- The oxidation of finely ground (-200 mu m) bornite (Cu(5)FeS(4)) by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans was evaluated in oxygen uptake and shake flasks experiments. The oxidation was a net acid-consuming reaction. Residual bornite was not detected by X-fray diffraction in solids after 2 days of contact in acid leach solution, indicating that the chemical and biological oxidation of bornite was relatively fast. Virtually 100% of copper solubilization was achieved in A. ferrooxidans cultures with or without ferrous iron, while in abiotic controls the copper extraction was around 30%. Bornite was not oxidized by Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans in respirometric or shake flasks experiments. Covellite (CuS) was detected as a secondary phase under all experimental conditions. Sulfur and jarosite were formed only in the presence of A. ferrooxidans. (C) 2009 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Process Biochemistry. Oxford: Elsevier B.V., v. 45, n. 1, p. 101-106, 2010.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Iron oxidation
- Sulfur oxidation
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.