Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Behavioural and seminal characteristics of Santa Ines rams subjected to successive semen collections in the Amazonian region
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Empresa Assistencia Tecn
- Universidade Federal de Viçosa (UFV)
- Universidade Federal Rural da Amazônia (UFRA)
- The objective of this study was to evaluate the reproductive performance of Santa Ines rams subjected to successive semen collections in an Amazonian climate. Four rams were subjected to successive ejaculations during a maximum period of three hours. This procedure was repeated three times at 15-day intervals. Sexual and behavioural (libido) and andrological (testicular and seminal) assessments were performed. A total of 81 ejaculates were collected. Libido and semen vigour, volume, appearance and concentration decreased as the ejaculation frequency increased (P<0.05) and sperm motility showed a decreasing trend (P=0.06). The seminal pH increased over the sequence of collections (P<0.05). The only significant differences observed between individual rams were the variable scrotal circumference and the percentages of live sperm and sperm abnormalities (P<0.05). All the parameters of the first ejaculation were within the normal range for this species, which suggests that the local climatic conditions (high temperature and humidity) did not affect the behavioural, testicular or seminal parameters of experimental rams. Our findings indicate that the reproductive performance of Santa Ines rams could be affected by the intensification of ejaculation frequency; however, individual male variation needs to be taken into consideration.
- Italian Journal of Animal Science. Pavia: Pagepress Publ, v. 11, n. 4, p. 6, 2012.
- Pagepress Publ
- Ejaculation frequency
- Semen parameters
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.