Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Comparative study of wax glands in four Meliponini bees (Hymenoptera, Apidae) producing different quantities of wax
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- The developmental degree of the wax glands was compared in four Meliponini bees, that produce different quantities of wax. The histological data and height average of the wax epithelium during the time in which the maximum production of wax is expected, are in accordance with the rates of wax produced by the species. In Lestrimelitta limao (Smith, 1863) a species which has cleptobiotic habits, and frequently rob wax from the attacked colonies, the height of wax epithelium was the lowest among the studied species. The cells seem to show an abnormal vacuolated cytoplasm, in the phase in which they would be producing wax.
- Iheringia. Série Zoologia. Fundação Zoobotânica do Rio Grande do Sul, n. 89, p. 193-198, 2000.
- Fundação Zoobotânica do Rio Grande do Sul
- Stingless bees
- wax glands
- wax production
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.