Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- The use of mitomycin C in caustic esophagitis in rats
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- PURPOSE: To evaluate the topical effects of mitomycin C (MMC) in rats, with or without esophageal dilation, in different moments after esophageal caustic injury with NaOH10%. METHODS: Forty eight Wistar rats were divided into six groups: GS infusion of 0.9% saline solution in the esophagus; CG infusion of 0.9% saline solution in the esophagus, with temporary ligation of the organ; NTG induction of a caustic lesion without treatment; GmmcD0 MMC applied immediately after the caustic injury; GmmcD14 MMC applied 14 days after the caustic injury; Gdil+mmcD14 esophageal dilation and application of MMC 14 days after caustic injury. We performed contrast esophagograms of four animals from each group, seven and 21 days after the caustic injury. on day 28, all animals were sacrificed, and histopathological analyses were performed on the esophageal specimens. RESULTS: The contrast images showed total stenosis in NTG and GmmcD0, improving to partial stenosis in GmmcD0. In GmmcD14 and Gdil+mmcD14, two animals of each group improved to partial stenosis. By histopathological analysis, NTG and GmmcD14 presented intermediate damage and GmmcD0 and Gdil+mmcD14 severe damage. CONCLUSION: The use of mitomycin C had beneficial effects specially when applied immediately after the induction of esophageal lesions.
- Acta Cirúrgica Brasileira. Sociedade Brasileira para o Desenvolvimento da Pesquisa em Cirurgia, v. 28, n. 2, p. 136-141, 2013.
- Sociedade Brasileira para o Desenvolvimento da Pesquisa em Cirurgia
- Esophageal Stenosis
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.