Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Optical characteristics of Er3+-Yb3+ doped SnO2 xerogels
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Er3+ doped SnO2 xerogels have been obtained from aqueous colloidal suspensions. Emission and excitation spectra were obtained and allowed the identification of two main families of sites for Er3+. In the first one Er3+ substitutes for Sn4+ in the SnO2 cassiterite structure. In the second Er3+ are found adsorbed at the SnO2 particle surface. For the first family of sites the technological important infrared Er3+ emission about 1.5 mum is efficiently excited through absorption at the SnO2 conduction band at 3.8 eV. on the other hand the emission due to adsorbed ions appears inhomogeneously broadened by the statistical distribution of sites available for Er3+ ions at the surface of the particles. Moreover it is not excited by the host. The emission of this second family of sites could be also excited by an energy transfer mechanism involving Yb3+ ions also adsorbed a posteriori at particles surface. Results are compared with spectra obtained for Eu3+ doped samples. (C) 2002 Elsevier B.V. B.V. All rights reserved.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds. Lausanne: Elsevier B.V. Sa, v. 344, n. 1-2, p. 217-220, 2002.
- Elsevier B.V.
- tin dioxide
- rare earth doping
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.