Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Use of Yucca schidigera extract in broiler diets and its effects on performance results obtained with different coccidiosis control methods
- Universidade Federal do Paraná (UFPR)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- A trial was conducted to assess the effects of the dietary supplement Yucca schidigera extract on the performance of broilers subjected to different coccidiosis control methods. Six hundred male broiler chicks were randomly allocated to 1 of 5 treatments with 4 replicates each. The treatments were as follows: T1, vaccinated against coccidiosis; T2, nonvaccinated, a dietary coccidiostat; T3, vaccinated against coccidiosis, diet supplemented with Y. schidigera extract (0.01%); T4, coccidiostat plus Y. schidigera extract added to feed (0.01%); and T5, nonvaccinated, nonsupplemented control. The parameters analyzed were bird performance and morphology of the intestinal mucosal surface. The intestinal villi were higher at 6 d of age in broilers treated with coccidiostats or vaccinated against coccidiosis and supplemented with Y. schidigera extract compared with groups receiving the vaccine only or no treatment. Addition of the Y. schidigera extract to the diet of vaccinated birds improved average daily gain and feed conversion rate at 42 d of age compared with the other treatments, suggesting there might be a beneficial, synergistic effect between the coccidiosis vaccine and the Y. schidigera extract.
- Journal of Applied Poultry Research. Savoy: Poultry Science Associação Inc., v. 16, n. 2, p. 248-254, 2007.
- Poultry Science Assoc Inc
- Yucca schidigera extract
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.