Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- 2-Mercaptoimidazole covalently bonded to a silica gel surface for the selective separation of mercury(II) from an aqueous solution
- Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Silica gel with a specific surface area of 365 m(2).g(-1) and an average pore diameter of 60 Angstrom was chemically modified with 2-mercaptoimidazole. The degree of functionalization of the covalently attached molecule, (drop SiO)(3)(CH2)(3) - MI, where MI is the 2-mercaptoimidazole bound to the silica surface by a propyl group, was 0.58 mmolg.(-1). In individual metal adsorption experiments from aqueous solutions by the batch procedure, the affinity order was Hg(II)much greater than Cd-II > Cu-II approximate to Zn-II approximate to Pb-II > Mn-II at solution pHs between 4 and 7. Due to the high affinity by the sulfur atom, Hg-II is strongly bound to the functional groups. When solution containing a mixture of Hg-II, Cd-II, Cu-II, Zn-II, Pb-II, and Mn-II ions was passed through a column packed with the adsorbent, Hg-II was the only one whose adsorption and elution was not affected by the presence of other ions.
- Separation Science and Technology. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc., v. 32, n. 15, p. 2535-2545, 1997.
- Marcel Dekker Inc
- Hg-II separation
- 2-mercaptoimidazole modified silica gel
- 2-mercaptoimidazole silica gel for Hg-II separation
- chemically modified silica gel
- Hg-II selective adsorption
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.