Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- INVITRO ACTION OF VASOPRESSIN ON WATER-ABSORPTION BY RAT COLON
- Vicentinipaulino, MLM
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- The action of vasopressin on water absorption was studied in vitro in the colon of rats, weighing approximately 250 g. Everted sacs of intestinal segments (ascending and descending colons) prepared with mucosa only were used. Vasopressin (10 mM) significantly stimulated water absorption in both the proximal (4.85 +/- 3.78 vs 1.51 +/- 1.16 ml/mg) and distal (10.39 +/- 3.52 vs 7.22 +/- 3.58 ml/mg) colon, which corresponds to an increase of 220% and 50%,respectively. The results indicate the need for a study of the possible physiological function of vasopressin in enhancing intestinal water absorption, when it is released in response to plasma hyperosmolarity.
- Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. São Paulo: Associação Bras Divulg Cientifica, v. 25, n. 10, p. 1041-1043, 1992.
- Associação Brasileira de Divulgação Científica (ABRADIC)
- WATER ABSORPTION
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.