Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- The ribs of Eupatorieae (Asteraceae): of wide taxonomic value or reliable characters only among certain groups?
- Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG)
- Universidade Federal de Uberlândia (UFU)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG)
- FAPESP: 00/12469-3
- FAPEMIG: CRA APQ-4545-5.02/07
- Rib numbers have traditionally been used in identification keys of Eupatorieae. Some species, however, demonstrate variations in this character much greater than those registered in the literature, making the use of this trait controversial. The large variations seen among some species of Eupatorieae examined in this work were found to be related to the fact that rib number is more closely associated with the pressure exerted by neighboring flowers on the capitulum than with genetic factors. According to our results, ribs are not a reliable taxonomic character for broad use in Eupatorieae, being especially inappropriate for Chromolaena stachyophylla, Praxelis pauciflora, and Vittetia orbiculata. The association between the occurrence of vascular bundles and ribs is also discussed, and the variability seen in some Eupatorieae is analyzed. Our data indicate that the formation of the ribs on the cypselae is determined more by the position occupied by the flower on the inflorescence than by the occurrence of vascular bundles.
- Plant Systematics and Evolution. Wien: Springer Wien, v. 285, n. 1-2, p. 127-130, 2010.
- Springer Wien
- Vascular bundle
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.