Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effect of age and number of parturitions on uterine and ovarian variables in owl monkeys
- Universidade Federal Rural da Amazônia (UFRA)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Fdn Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ
- Inst Brasileiro Meio Ambiente & Recursos Nat Reno
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- FAPESP: 09/13506-4
- Background We aimed to evaluate the uterine and ovarian volumes of owl monkeys in different age groups with different numbers of live births and to analyze the interaction between both.Methods We performed pelvic ultrasound exams to compare the uterine measurements with weight, age (infant, juvenile, subadult, young adults, and adults) and the number of live births (nulliparous, primiparous, and multiparous) and to compare the ovarian measurements with weight and age.Results and Conclusions The uterine volume (UV) was directly proportional to the number of parturitions, which was the most important factor in the uterine growth of adult females (P < 0.05). The body weight and age of the animals showed a high positive correlation with UV (r = 0.5354, r = 0.6489, P < 0.01), respectively. The volume of the ovaries grew in proportion to the age of the females (P < 0.05). Puberty was the period of greatest uterine and ovarian growth.
- Journal of Medical Primatology. Malden: Wiley-blackwell, v. 40, n. 5, p. 310-316, 2011.
- Aotus sp.
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.