Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Understanding the tsunami with a simple model
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- In this paper, we use the approximation of shallow water waves (Margaritondo G 2005 Eur. J. Phys. 26 401) to understand the behaviour of a tsunami in a variable depth. We deduce the shallow water wave equation and the continuity equation that must be satisfied when a wave encounters a discontinuity in the sea depth. A short explanation about how the tsunami hit the west coast of India is given based on the refraction phenomenon. Our procedure also includes a simple numerical calculation suitable for undergraduate students in physics and engineering.
- European Journal of Physics. Bristol: Iop Publishing Ltd, v. 27, n. 4, p. 855-863, 2006.
- Iop Publishing Ltd
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.