Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effects of Passiflora edulis on the Metabolic Profile of Diabetic Wistar Rat Offspring
- Universidade de Marília (UNIMAR)
- Faculdade de Tecnologia do Estado de São Paulo (FATEC)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Reg Hosp Sao Filipe
- Frigorificos Bertin SA
- Dry extract of the genus Passiflora has been shown to help control glycemia and lipid levels. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of passion fruit (P. edulis) on the biochemical profile of offspring from diabetic rats. Diabetes was induced by streptozotocin. The diabetes group consisted of 10 rats with glucose levels greater than 200 mg/dL; the nondiabetic (control) group consisted of 10 rats with glucose levels less than 120 mg/dL. After the diagnosis of diabetes, the mating phase was started. By day 21 of pregnancy, the offspring were born; the dams were kept in individual cages with their offspring until the weaning period. The offspring were then divided into 4 groups (n = 15 each): G1 were offspring from control dams, G2 were offspring from treated nondiabetic dams, G3 were offspring from diabetic dams, and G4 were offspring from treated diabetic dams. For 30 consecutive days, G1 and G3 offspring were treated with vehicle (oral gavage) and G2 and G4 offspring were treated with passion fruit juice (oral gavage). After 30-day treatment, the animals were anesthetized and killed, and blood was drawn immediately for analysis of the biochemical profile (total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, and glucose). The G2 and G4 rats showed significantly reduced total cholesterol, triglyceride, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and an increased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level. The use of passion fruit juice improved lipid profiles, suggesting that this plant may have beneficial effects in the prevention and treatment of dyslipidemias and hyperglycemia.
- Journal of Medicinal Food. New Rochelle: Mary Ann Liebert Inc., v. 14, n. 12, p. 1490-1495, 2011.
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Passiflora edulis
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.