Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Comparação de métodos para determinar biomassa na região amazônica
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia (INPA)
- Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais (INPE)
- The aboveground biomass content of a region can be estimated by either direct or indirect methods. Direct methods correspond to the biomass content determination with scales and extrapolation of results to larger areas. It is a destructive and very laborious procedure. Indirect methods utilize formulas whose entrance parameters are obtained from forest inventories. Forest inventories are made with the purpose to plan exploration and land use and the inventory data are frequently not suitable for biomass estimation. Problems with both methods increase in the Amazon region, where little information is available on forest biomass. The objective of this paper is to establish, by comparing the application of the indirect and direct methods in the determination of the biomass, the more appropriate indirect formulation to represent the characteristic vegetation of a region in the amazonian forest. A 0.2 hectare area was chosen, which was part of a major forest clearing experiment conducted in Tomé Açu, a town located 250 km south of Belém, the capital of the Brazilian state of Pará. The entire biomass in the area was weighted with scales during the three weeks that followed the cut of the forest in July 1994. A detailed inventory was carried out in the area and then the indirect method was applied in the data. Seven different formulas for determining biomass were used. Comparison of the data of real mass and the mass obtained through the application of the seven formulas indicated that the more suitable for the region is given by FW = α · φβ · Hγ, where FW is total fresh weight (kg), φ is the diameter at breast height (cm), H is the total height of the tree and α, β and γ are regression coefficients (equal to 0.026, 1.529 and 1.747, respectively).
- Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciencias, v. 68, n. SUPPL. 1, p. 39-40, 1996.
- Determinação de biomassa
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.