Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Effect of estradiol benzoate microinjection into the median raphe nucleus on contextual conditioning
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade de São Paulo (USP)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- Fundação de Apoio ao Ensino, Pesquisa e Assistência do Hospital das Clínicas da Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirão Preto da USP (FAEPA)
- Estrogen deficiency has been associated with stress, anxiety and depression. Estrogen receptors have been identified in the median raphe nucleus (MRN). This structure is the main source of serotonergic projections to the hippocampus, a forebrain area implicated in the regulation of defensive responses and in the resistance to chronic stress. There is reported evidence indicating that estrogen modulates 5-HT(1A) receptor function. In the MRN, somatodendritic 5-HT(1A) receptors control the activity of serotonergic neurones by negative feedback. The present study has evaluated the effect of intra-MRN injection of estradiol benzoate (EB, 600 or 1200 ng/0.2 mu l) on the performance of ovariectormized rats submitted to contextual conditioning. Additionally, the same treatment was given after intra-MRN injection of Way 100635 (100 ng/0.2 mu l). a 5-HT(1A) receptor antagonist. Both doses of EB decreased freezing and increased rearing, indicating an anxiolytic effect. Pretreatment with Way 100635 antagonized the anxiolytic effect of estradiol. on the basis of these results, it may be suggested that estrogens modulate anxiety by acting on 5-HT(1A) receptors localized in the MRN. (C) 2009 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Behavioural Brain Research. Amsterdam: Elsevier B.V., v. 204, n. 1, p. 112-116, 2009.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Median raphe nucleus
- Contextual conditioning
- 5-HT(1A) receptor
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.