Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Análise comparativa de métodos de avaliação da composição corporal em homens sadios e em pacientes com doença pulmonar obstrutiva crônica: antropometria, impedância bioelétrica e absortiometria de raios-X de dupla energia
- Comparative analysis of body composition assessment methods in healthy men and in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: anthropometry, bioelectrical impedance and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- The aim of this study was to examine the agreement between the results of body fat (BF and BF%), fat-free mass (FFM) and FFM index (FFMI= FFM/height2) as estimated by skinfold anthropometry (ANT), bioelectrical impedance (BIA) and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in two groups of men (> or = 50 y), one comprising healthy individuals (n=23) and the other, patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (n=24). Comparisons between body composition techniques were done by repeated measures ANOVA; the Bland & Altman procedure was used to analyse agreement. RESULTS AND CONCLUSIONS: 1) comparison between healthy and COPD groups showed significant differences between all studied variables; 2) in the healthy group, values for BF, BF%, FFM and FFMI were not significantly different when BIA or ANT was compared to DXA; however, in COPD, values for BF and BF% were significantly higher and for FFM and FFMI significantly lower when BIA was compared to DXA; in contrast, no differences were shown between values for these variables when ANT was compared with DXA; 3) Bland & Altman test, in both groups, showed no agreement between BIA and DXA and between ANT and DXA; it was also shown that body fat was overestimated and fat free mass underestimated by BIA in relation to DXA.
- Archivos latinoamericanos de nutrición., v. 55, n. 2, p. 124-131, 2005.
- adipose tissue
- analysis of variance
- body composition
- body mass
- case control study
- chronic obstructive lung disease
- comparative study
- middle aged
- Adipose Tissue
- Analysis of Variance
- Body Composition
- Body Mass Index
- Case-Control Studies
- Densitometry, X-Ray
- Electric Impedance
- Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive
- Reproducibility of Results
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.