Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- A contribution for nonlinear structural dynamics characterization of cantilever beams
- Instituto de Aeronáutica e Espaço (IAE)
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Successful experiments in nonlinear vibrations have been carried out with cantilever beams under harmonic base excitation. A flexible slender cantilever has been chosen as a convenient structure to exhibit modal interactions, subharmonic, superharmonic and chaotic motions, and others interesting nonlinear phenomena. The tools employed to analyze the dynamics of the beam generally include frequency- and force-response curves. To produce force-response curves, one keeps the excitation frequency constant and slowly varies the excitation amplitude, on the other hand, to produce frequency-response curves, one keeps the excitation amplitude fixed and slowly varies the excitation frequency. However, keeping the excitation amplitude constant while varying the excitation frequency is a difficult task with an open-loop measurement system. In this paper, it is proposed a closed-loop monitor vibration system available with the electromagnetic shaker in order to keep the harmonic base excitation amplitude constant. This experimental setup constitutes a significant improvement to produce frequency-response curves and the advantages of this setup are evaluated in a case study. The beam is excited with a periodic base motion transverse to the axis of the beam near the third natural frequency. Modal interactions and two-period quasi-periodic motion are observed involving the first and the third modes. Frequency-response curves, phase space and Poincaré map are used to characterize the dynamics of the beam.
- International Congress on Noise Control Engineering 2005, INTERNOISE 2005, v. 3, p. 1950-1959.
- Base excitation
- Base motion
- Chaotic motions
- Electromagnetic shakers
- Excitation amplitudes
- Excitation frequency
- Frequency-response curves
- Measurement system
- Modal interactions
- Non-linear phenomena
- Non-linear vibrations
- Nonlinear structural dynamics
- Phase spaces
- Quasi-periodic motion
- Vibration systems
- Phase space methods
- Structural dynamics
- Cantilever beams
- Acesso restrito
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.