Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Electrochemical evaluation of the a carbon-paste electrode modified with spinel manganese(IV) oxide under flow conditions for amperometric determination of lithium
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Federal do Paraná (UFPR)
- Universidade Federal de São Carlos (UFSCar)
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP)
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq)
- FAPESP: 08/07298-7
- FAPESP: 09/11079-1
- CNPq: 474367/2004-5
- The participation of cations in redox reactions of manganese oxides provides an opportunity for development of chemical sensors for non-electroactive ions. This paper describes the amperometric determination of lithium ions using carbon-paste electrode modified with spinel manganese(IV) oxide under flow conditions. Systematic investigations were made to optimize the experimental parameters for lithium sensor by flow injection analysis. The detection was based on the measurement of anodic current generated by oxidation of Mn(III) to Mn(IV) at the surface of the electrode and consequently the lithium ions extraction into the spinel structure. An operating potential of 0.50 V (vs. Ag/AgCl/3 KCl mol/L) was exploited for amperometric monitoring. The amperometric signal was linearly dependent on the lithium ions concentration over the range 4.0 x 10(-5) to 1.0 x 10(-3) mol L-1. The equilibrium constant of insertion/extraction of the lithium ion in the spine! structure, apparent Gibbs energy of insertion, and surface coverage of the electrode with manganese oxide, were calculated by peak charge (Q) in different concentration under flow conditions. Considering selectivity, the peak charge of the sensor was found to be linearly dependent on the ionic radius of the alkaline and earth-alkaline cations. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Electrochimica Acta. Oxford: Pergamon-Elsevier B.V. Ltd, v. 56, n. 5, p. 2552-2558, 2011.
- Pergamon-Elsevier B.V. Ltd
- Amperometric sensor
- Spinel-type manganese oxide
- Non-electroactive ions
- Gibbs energy
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.