Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
- Aspirado traqueal de cavalos clinicamente sadios da raça quarto de milha após prova de três tambores
- Tracheal aspiration of clinically healthy quarter horses after three barrel competition
- Centro de Agrárias e Ambientais
- Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP)
- Universidade Federal do Paraná (UFPR)
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná (PUCPR)
- The aim of the present study was to evaluate through endoscopy the tracheal aspiration cytology in twenty seven Quarter Horses from Curitiba and surroundings, following the Three Barrel Competittion. Upper respiratory tract secretion was obtained by tracheal aspiration using a polyethylene catheter introduced through the endoscopic fiberoptic working channel, at the level of tracheal bifurcation. Cytologic slides were prepared by smear and stained by diff-quick technique and the differential was performed in 500 cells counting by 1,000X optic microscopy. None of the horses presented abnormality, including epixtasis, at the clinical examination. However, hemosiderophages were detected at cytology in three animals, suggesting that some may be suffering of subclinical pulmonary hemorrhage. Differential cell counting of tracheal aspiration results were, in average: 44.09 ± 35.68% of epithelial cells; 1.10 ± 2.18% of Globet cells; 23.10 ± 35.93% of neutrophils; 0.13 ± 0.37% of lymphocytes; 0.91 ± 2.81% of eosinophils; 30.57 ± 23.62% of macrophages and 0.13 + 0.93% of hemosiderophages. In conclusion, based in the present study, the evaluation of cellular populations with the tracheal aspiration may offer important additional information to the clinician, particularly about the inflammatory processes of lower respiratory tract and pulmonary bleeding.
- Archives of Veterinary Science, v. 12, n. 2, p. 1-7, 2007.
- Quarter horse
- Tracheal aspirate
- Acesso aberto
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.